Links

pmuellr is Patrick Mueller

other pmuellr thangs: home page, twitter, flickr, github

Friday, March 09, 2007

new gRESTbook()

As atonement for my sins, I've started a new mini-project called gRESTbook. The idea is to actually stop spouting off about REST, and just waving the "it's easy and it's cacheable!" flag, and writes some code. An example. Of a really simple service, but complex enough to show all the interesting generic challenges. Remember web Guestbooks? That's even easier than the old todo list that we usually used to use as an example app.

I've been meaning to do this for a while. Actually, what I really want to play with is stuff like this (lifted from the project page):

  • machine- and human-readable descriptions of services
  • machine- and human-readable descriptions of data flowing through these services
  • library-ized engines to handle common RESTy patterns
  • programming language 'interfaces' that I can use to plug existing data into the library-ized engines
  • finding out what nice looking client interfaces to RESTy services look like

But you have to crawl before you can walk.

And I also want to play with the client end as well, since there are plenty of unknowns in that space as well. Currently planning on using Flex for the client.

I'll sporadically post back here as significant function becomes available ...

No comments: